have used cow peas, tomatoes and simple spice powder.
Let us see some benefits of eating " cow pea/black eyed bean " in our diet.
Cow peas are a very healthy legume. They help to improve our digestion. They are very good for sleep disorders. They are good source of antioxidants. They promote healthy skin and good for weight loss. They also help to improve blood circulation and manage diabetes. Cow peas have good amount of minerals and nutrients. They are packed with protein. They are good for strong bones. They support healthy metabolism and anemia. Cow peas are loaded with nutrients. They are rich in fiber, protein, potassium, low in fat and calories.
As I said earlier Cowpeas - Tomato Curry is easy to prepare and definitely liked by all aged group.
Let us see the recipe now:
No Onion or No garlic is used in this curry.
Ingredients.:To Cook :
Cow pea : 1 Cup
Toor dal : 1 Handful
Methi seeds/Fenugrik seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
To Add :
Tomatoes : 3 to 4
Ginger : 1 Inch
Spice Powder : 1 Tablespoon
Green chilly : 2
Garam Masala Powder : (MTR) : 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt : To Taste:
Lemon : 1/2 Lemon juice (Extract of 1/2 lemon)
Turmeric powder : A little
To Season :
Coconut Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Green chilly : 1
Ingh : A little
Curry Leaves : 8 to 10 Leaves
Method :1. Wash and cook toor dal and black eyed beans with methi seeds. (1/2 teaspoon). (Pressure cook for 6 to 8 minutes and let it cool.
2. Wash and cut tomatoes. Remove the seeds as much as possible.
3. Wash and cut coriander leaves and remove the outer layer of ginger, wash and grate it again.
4. Wash green chilly and slit and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil. Add mustard seeds and jeera.
6. When mustard seeds starts to splutter add green chilly, ingh and curry leaves.
7. Let it mix well. Add cut tomatoes and fry for 1 minute. Add cooked dal and black eyed bean and mix it well.
8. Add salt, a little water, turmeric powder and mix it again.
9. Let it cook on low flame. Add a tablespoon of spice powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala and mix it well. Let it boil nicely.
10. Add grated ginger, slit green chilly. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Shift the curry to a serving dish.
11. Add lemon extract and cut coriander leaves.
12. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :Soaking cow peas for over night is optional. I straight cooked black eyed bean. Adding more spices is optional. Use of any other cooking oil is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 4 to 5.
Home prepared Spice powder :
Dry roast 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of urid dal, 1/4 teaspoon of methi seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of jeera/curmin seeds and 5 to 6 byadagi chilly one by one. Dry grind and cool it. Always it is better to use fresh spice powder.