Its the time to get Pigeon peas. Pigeon Peas is winter's crop and it is tender, filled with loads of vitamins and minerals and more than that it is fresh. I have used this pigeon pea, cluster beans and prepared simple dry curry.
One should make use and eat the seasonal vegetables and pulses during their seasons.
It does provide good effect on our body since they do contain loads of minerals and vitamins.
Dry curry is one of the side dish and we can prepare with many vegetables and is good to eat with little ghee and hot rice/chapatis/rotis etc.
I have used pigeon peas, cluster beans, coconut and some simple spices.
Let us see some benefits of eating pigeon peas in our diet.
Pigeon peas helps to stimulate growth. They helps to prevent anemia and boost heart health. They also helps to improve digestion and strengthen our immune system. They boost energy and eleminate inflammation. They have good source of potassium and helps in regulating blood pressure in our body. They are filled with proteins and good for people who are suffering from anemia. Pigeon pea is loaded with nutrients and they have some amount of calories and very low in saturated fats and cholesterol. It is filled with dietary fiber. They have Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Carbohydrates. Dietary fibers in them helps to balance cholesterol level in our body. It also magnesium, phosphorus, copper and manganese in it.
Let us see the recipe Now :
No Onion or No Garlic is used in this recipe and it is very simple and easy to prepare.
Things Needed :
To Cook :
Pigeon Peas : 1 Cup
Cluster Beans : 1 Cup ( 150 gr).
To Add :
Coconut : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Green chilly : 1 to 3
Ginger : 1 Teaspoon
Methi seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons
To Season :
Coconut oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal: 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera / Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
1. Remove pods and wash it. Wash and cut the edges of cluster beans and cut into small.
2. Grate coconut, wash and cut green chilly, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
3. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger and wash it again. Grate it and keep it aside.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add coconut oil, mustard seeds and urid dal.
5. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add jeera, slit chilly and curry leaves.
6. Add pigeon peas and mix it well. Add cut cluster beans and mix it again.
7. Add a pinch of turmeric powder, methi seeds and 1/2 cup of water. Let it cook on medium flame.
I have used pressure cooker to cook pigeon peas and cluster beans.
8. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes and put off the gas. Let it cool.
9. Keep a pan on the fire and put cooked pigeon peas & cluster beans.
10. Add salt, grated ginger and mix it nicely. Let all the moisture disappear.
11. Add grated coconut and cut coriander leaves. Mix it well and shift the ready curry to a serving dish.
12. Pigeon Peas & Cluster Beans Dry Curry is ready to serve. We had it with lunch as one of the side dish.
It is better to use pressure cooker to cook pigeon peas. Or it takes longer time to cook and the pea pod turns a bit hard. Use of red chilly powder is optional. Use of garlic or onion is optional. Use of roasted methi seeds powder is optional. ( Dry roast methi seeds and powder it. Keep this powder in a air tight bottle/box. Use it for curries and any type of chitranna or masala rice.
Time : 15 Minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3.