Here is a recipe of Raw Jack Curry. I have used some raw mango pieces instead of tamarind pulp. It has given a tangy taste to the curry. Adding jaggery helps the curry to reduce the tangy taste. Jaggery helps to reduce the gastric properties while cooking, Since it contain anti oxidant properties.
Raw Jack Curry can be eaten with plain rice, chapati, poori, naan, idli, dosa and even any kind of rotti.
Lets see the Recipe :
Raw Jack : 1 Bowl
Toor Dal : 1/2 Cup
Raw Mango Pieces : 1/2 Cup ( Or half of one medium sized mango)
Jaggery : 1 Table spoon
Coconut : 3 to 4 Table spoon
Rasam Powder : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Salt : to taste
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Oil : 1 Tea spoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tea spoon
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Asafoetida (Ingh) : a pinch
1. Remove the top skin of the raw jack nicely and clean it nicely. Cut the vegetable in to pieces. (Remove the hard stem from inside).
2. Soak these cut pieces in water for 5 to 10 minutes. Wash it again and Pressure cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Leave it for cooling.
3. Wash and cook dal in a pressure cooker. ( You can pressure cook at one time keeping them in separate bowls). .
4. Grate coconut and cut mangoes. Grind coconut, jeera, mango pieces and rasam powder together with little water till paste.
7.. Add ground coconut mixture and mix it slowly and cook for another 2 more minutes.
9. Serve this Raw Jack Mango curry with the main dish.
Using a spoon of ghee adds to the taste.
Time : 40 minutes.
Serves : 4 to 5