Shavige Uppitu is one of the well known breakfast or snack item and we can prepare in different ways. Shavige can be enjoyed in any form either sweet or spicy.
Here I have tried Shavige with Spring Onions and Capsicum. The combination of spring onions go well with capsicum and it taste really nice with capsicum aroma. Instead of onions I have tried spring onions. You get fresh Spring onions in the market. It also serves the purpose of eating leaves. Leaves are one of the best vegetable one should intake.
Let us some benefits of having Spring Onions in our diet.Spring onions lowers the blood sugar level.
It is often used as a medicine for common cold.
It is used as an appetizer as it helps digestion.
It speeds up the level of blood circulation in the body.
Spring Onions are rich in Vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin B2 , Vitamin A and Vitamin K. They are also good sources of copper, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, manganese and Fiber.
They are good for regulating metabolism. They help to fight against eye disease and eye problem and protects the skin from wrinkling.
They help to reduce the cholesterol level.
Here is a recipe of Spring Onion - Shavige recipe, which is very easy to prepare and we can have them for breakfast, as evening snack or even for dinner. Good for kitty parties also.
Things needed:Spring Onion : 2 Bundles
Shavige : 1/2 Kg
Water : 3 1/2 to 4 Cups
Coconut : 1 Cup
Capsicum : 2
Green chilly :2 to 3
Salt : Required Salt.
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Coriander leaves : 2 Table spoons
Mustard seeds : 1 Tea spoon
Urid Dal : 1 Tea spoon
Oil : 3 to 4 Table spoons
Ghee : 2 Table spoons
Ginger : a small piece
Method :1. Wash and cut spring onions, capsicum, green chilly and coriander leaves.
2. Grate coconut and ginger and keep it aside. Squeeze out the lemon juice and keep the juice aside.
4. Keep a big pan on the fire and put 1 table spoon of oil. Heat and fry shavige on low flame till they turn golden brown.
5. Keep another pan and put remaining oil and put mustard seeds, urid dal. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
6. Add curry leaves, green chilly and fry for 10 seconds.
7. Add cut capsicum,grated ginger and spring onions and fry nicely till they turn soft.
8. Add this fried spring onions and capsicum to fried shavige and mix it well. Add salt and boiling water. Mix it slowly, cover the lid and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
9. Add grated coconut and lemon juice when all the water disappear. Put off the gas. Add ghee and mix it nicely.
10. Shift the ready Spring Onion Shavige to a serving bowl and serve with cup of curd or banana.
Note :You can add more oil if you wish. Adding red chilly or green chilly is an optional.
You can also add other vegetables like carrtos, beans and peas.
Do it on low flame to get the good result.
I have used Anil Wheat Shavige. You can use MTR or any other brand shavige also.
You can also use Garam Masala but it gives a different taste.
Serves : 6
Time : 30 Minutes.