Navane -Urid Masala Dosa is a healthy snack eaten at breakfast, as snack in the evening or for dinner too.
Foxtail millet (Navane) is rich in dietary fibre, protein and low in fat. Foxtail millet is one of the healthy grain and it is gluteen free.
Urad dal is used as a major ingredient in Indian cuisine for preparing a healthy diet. It is highly valued due to its numerous health benefits. It has protein, fat and carbohydrated which is required by the body. This dal is one of the richest sources of proteins and Vitamin B. Urid dal contain iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium,potassium. Urid dal is rich in fibre which makes it easy to digest. Urid dal helps to reduce cholesterol and improves cardiovascular health.
I have used organic Navane (foxtail millet) which is de-husked) , dosa turns as normal rice urid dosa.
Here is a recipe of Navane Urid - Masla Dosa. Masala is prepared with carrots and potatoes. This dish is without onions and good to prepare even on fasting and special days.
Things Needed :
Recipe for Navane Urid Dosa :
Navane (Foxtail Millet) : 41/2 cups
Urid dal : 1 Cup
Awalakki (flattened or beaten rice) : 1/2 cup
Methi (Fenugrik seeds) : 1 Table spoon
Water : Required
Salt : to taste
|Ready to Serve Foxtail Millet Masala Dosa|
1. Wash and soak foxtail millet, fenugrik seeds and urid dal for 3 to 4 hours. ( All together).
2. Wash flattened rice and soak in warm water.
3. Grind all the ingredients including flattened rice with required water and prepare the dough.
4. Add salt and leave it for ferment for 6 to 8 hours or over night.
|Dosa dough is ready to prepare dosas.|
Recipe for Potato Masala:
Things Needed :
Potatoes : 3 to 4
Carrots : 2
Ginger : 1 Table spoon
Green chilly : 2 to 3
Oil : 1 Table spoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tea spoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Tea spoon
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Curry leaves : 8 to 10
Coriander leaves : 2 Table spoons
1.Wash and boil potatoes in pressure cooker for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the skin when it is cooled.
Smash boiled potatoes and keep it aside.
2.Wash and grate carrots, ginger and cut, capsicum, green chilly and coriander leaves.
3. Keep a pan on the fire and add oil and heat.
4. Put mustard seeds and urid dal. Let the mustard spurt. Add jeera.
5. Add cut green chilly and curry leaves.
6. Now add grated carrots, cut capsicum and fry nicely for 2 minutes. Add ginger.
7. Add smashed potatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Mix it well.
8. Add coriander leaves and put off the fire.
Potato - Carrot dry palya is ready.
Potato Carrot Dry can be served as one of the side dish with Chapati, Roti, Poori or Plain Rice.
|Ready to Serve Potato - Carrot -Capsicum Dry Curry|
Mango Coconut Chutney:
Raw Mangoes : 4 to 6 (Tender Mangoes)
Green chilly : 2
Coconut : 1 coconut
Salt : to taste
Ingh : a pinch
1. Wash and cut raw mangoes, grate coconut.
2. Grind coconut, raw mangoes, green chilly, Ingh and salt together.
3. Shift this ground mixture to a serving bowl.
4. You can add spurt mustard with curry leaves to the coconut chutney.
|Raw Mango Coconut Chutney is ready to serve|
Masala Dosa :
Things Needed :Dosa dough
Potato - Carrot Masala
Oil : 1/2 Cup
Method :1. Keep a Dosa pan and heat.
2. Just sprinkle oil on the pan and clean with a tissue.
3 Take a spoonful of dosa dough and spread it slowly.
4. Sprinkle 1/2 Tea spoon of oil on the dosa and cover the dosa, cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Now turn the dosa and cook for 10 seconds and turn back the dosa.
6. Put a table spoon of Potato - Carrot Palya and cover the dosa on both sides.
Now Navane Urid Masala Dosa is ready to serve. Serve with the favourite chutney or Sanbaru you have prepared.
Foxtail Millet Urid Dosa dough consistency should be the same as dosa consistency. It should not be too thick or too watery. You can add little rice powder if you feel the dough is watery. Let the dosa dough be well ferment. You can use ghee instead of oil while preparing the Masala dosa. You can also sprinkle little chutney powder before placing the dry curry. Adding more chilly is purely your option. You can use onions in the dry palya. ( Add cut onions to the mustard spurt first, then add capsicum and carrots).
Chutney : 1o Minutes
Dry Curry : 30 Minutes (Including boiling potatoes)
Masala Dosa : 20 Minutes
Soaking Foxtail Millet, Urid dal, Awalakki and Methi seeds : 4 to 5 Hours
Grinding : Grinder : 30 minutes : Mixi : 20 Minutes. ( To get a good taste grind the mixture in the grinder).
Ferment Time : 5 to 6 Hours (Minimum).