Chole is prepared, using Channa (ಕಡಲೆಕಾಳು), onions and with spices. Chole Pav is a famous snack in India and all over the world now a days. Normally Chole contains lots of spices and it is normally a spicy food.
Whole Channa is also known as chickpea. There are two varieties of Chick pea, Black Channa and Kabooli Channa. Channa belongs to pulse family. They are an excellent source of Manganese, Fiber, Folate (folic acid) and provide essential nutrients like Iron, Copper and Protein. They are used to make delicious curries, curried Chole, Falafels and Hummus.
Carrots are naturally sweet, delicious and crunchy vegetables. They are rich in Vitamin A, contain loads of minerals and anti-oxidants.
Here is a recipe of Chole-Carrot + Pav. As I said before it is a good snack and good for dinner too. Using carrots in Chole, adds natural sweet taste. All age group will be love to eat home made Chole Pav and eating these chats at home is a healthy habit.
Things Needed :
Channa : 2 Cups
Onions : 2 to 4
Green chilly : 2
Ginger : 1 Table spoon (grated)
Garam Masala / Chole Masala : 1 Tea spoon
Salt : as required
Oil : 1 Table spoon
Jeera : 1 Tea spoon
Methi seeds : 1/4 Tea spoon
Tomatoes : 2 to 3
Coriander leaves : 3 to 4 Table spoons
Lemon extract : 1 Tea spoon (1/2 rind)
Buns (Pav) : 2 to 3 Packets
Butter : 5 to 6 Table spoons
1. Wash and soak Kabooli Channa for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Pressure cook Channa for 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Wash and cut onions, coriander leaves and green chilly. Grate ginger and carrots.
4. Keep a big pan on the fire. Heat and put oil.
5. Put jeera, methi seeds and fry. Add 1/2 portion of onions and fry for 2 minutes, Keep the rest.
6. Add cut tomatoes, chilly and grated ginger.
7. Fry it nicely till it becomes thick.
8. Add turmeric powder and garm masala / channa masala and fry .
9. Now add cooked channa.
10. Add grated carrots and salt. Mix it well.
11. Cook them on medium heat till they are little thick. Stir in between.
12. Add coriander leaves and lemon extract and shift the curry to the serving bowl. Add a tea spoon of butter to the curry.
13. Cut buns in to two. (Half )
14. Keep a tava and heat. Put little butter and put the pav on the butter and fry both the sides for 30 secomds on each side on low flame.
15. Serve Channa with Hot Pav and cut onions on the top of chole.
16. Repeat the same with the rest of the Pav.
17. Chole curry can be eaten as it is. Top up some onions cut just before serving Chole.
18. You can also add coriander leaves, grated carrots, cut raw mango to make it more yemmy.
Cook Channa till soft to give a good taste. You can also add spices like cloves and cardamom as it is to get the aroma of spices. Adding chilly gives channa yemmy taste. You can also add more butter if you wish. ( to the curry). You can use either any one of the masala powder.(Pav bhaji masala or garam masala powder). I have used MTR. garam masala powder. Adding more ghee adds to the taste of chole and even pav. ( For the healthy reason use it little and use more onions and even carrots too).
Time : 30 to 40 minutes.
Soaking time extra