Ready to serve Padavalakai/Snake Gourd Kheer/Payasa
Snake gourd is very high in water content and has a cooling effect on the body. It is low in calories and fat free. Snake gourd contain lots of fiber which is helpful for the digestive system. The fiber is also helpful for those with diabetes. It is a good resource of minerals.
Things Needed :
Snake gourd : 2 (small size)
Jaggery : 1/2 Cup
Coconut : 1 Cup
Milk : 1 Cup
Beaten Rice (Awalakki) : 3 to 4 Table spoon
Cardamom : 5 to 6 Pods
Ghee : 1 Table spoon
Cashew nuts : 2 Table spoons
1. Wash and cut Snake gourd into small pieces and pressure cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Powder cardamom and keep it aside.
4. Grind coconut with little water and squeeze out the milk. Grind the coconut again with little more water and squeeze out the milk again from the ground coconut mixture and keep them separately.
5. Now keep a pan on the fire and put cooked snake gourd pieces and jaggery. Cook them together for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the thinner (coconut milk which got in the second time).
6. Add beaten rice and mix it nicely and let it cook for 2 minutes.
8. Now keep a small pan and heat. Add ghee and fry cashew nuts for 10 seconds. Pour cashew ghee mixture to the ready kheer.
9. Add milk when you are ready to serve the kheer and serve hot or cold kheer.
Note :You can also grind coconut into paste and add it to the kheer instead of coconut milk. Use 5 to 6 almonds with coconut if you are grinding the coconut into paste. It will help the coconut to be paste consistency and helps the kheer to thickens. You can also clean the jaggery by boiling jaggery with little water and when it dissolve sieve the jaggery in a siever. It helps to take away the dirt from the jaggery.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 6