In Rava dosas we do not use much of rice and the content of rava is more. Normally in hotels they use maida to get the crispness and to hold all the ingredients tight. ( or dosa may turn into pieces) Here I have not used maida in this recipe, instead of that I used wheat flour. Adding little ( very little) is ok or dosa may turn soft and it may not taste good.
Rava is good for health and the people who want to reduce their weight. It takes longer duration to digest so that one who eats rava may not feel hungry for a long time. Though it contain carbohydrates. it has many good minerals and vitamins. Good for diabetic people. It contain fiber and good for people who are suffering from constipation.
Onion Rava dosa is good for breakfast or as snack and for dinner too.
Things NeededRava : 2 Cups
Rice flour : 1 Cup
Maida or Wheat flour : 2 Table spoons. (I used Wheat flour)
Onions : 2
Curry leaves : 1 Handful
Coriander leaves : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Curd : 1 Table spoon
Ginger : 1 Table spoon ( an inch)
Green chilly : 1
Fresh coconut : 1 Table spoon
Oil : 3 to 4 Table spoons.
Method :1. Remove the outer skin, wash and cut onions into thin.
2. Wash green chilly, curry leaves, coriander leaves, ginger and cut it into small pieces.
3. Remove the outer layer of ginger and grate it. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4.In a big bowl add Rava (Medium size), rice flour and wheat flour. Add salt. Mix it well.
5. Add cut onions, coriander leaves, curry leaves, grated coconut, ginger and green chilly.
6. Add required water and a spoon of curd. Mix it nicely. ( The consistency should be watery).
8. Take a big spoon of dosa mixture and spread it on the tava. ( Mix it well just before taking the dough).
11. Prepare rest of the rava dosa, the same way.
12. Each time you take the dough mix it well just before you take the dough in spoon.
Rava dosa consistency should be watery ( 1 = 2 to 2 1/2 ). Just adjust the water quantity. If you feel the water is more you can use some more rava. Adding grated carrots are optional. Adding coconut is also optional. Put a spoon of fresh butter while surving. Coconut chutney is the best combination. You can also serve this dosa with sambar.
Time : 30 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4