Saturday, November 18, 2017

Baragu/Proso Millet Sweet Kesari

Wow  😍😋....feeling very happy to say my  blog " ಅಡಿಗೆ /Adige " is stepping into 10th Year. 

I am thankful to all who see. comment, try and enjoy my own creative, traditional, delicious, simple and healthy dishes 


Let me thank each and every one who support, I feel that is my strength. I have no words to tell you how happy I am today. Thanks to my son Ravikanth Somayaji who inspired me and made me write recipes. Ravi and Rishi (sons) always there when the problem arises while writing and my hubby who supports in eating the first try and keeps on telling we have no problem to have it. Thank you my people.
It is always a pleasure to try what I know. Mostly Udupi style recipes, since we belong to Udupi/Karnataka. Sometimes I like to give a slight twist, keeping in my mind the healthy thoughts, simple and quick recipes.

I love to look forward to share traditional dishes which are really healthy. I also keep in mind that many are working women / men too have to cook and that should be quick. Outside food is ok for sometime and it may spoil the health, if he/she continues to eat for a long time.

One more thing  I always keep in mind is use of creams and lot of spices. I am not that  big fan of heavy spices or cream. Just adjusting to the taste of our own food,  simple traditional dishes, and some points to note about the food we eat. The health benefits of the ingredients are the main points added while writing the blog which helps the people to note about the food they intake.

Here is a simple, healthy, Quick and rich Sweet recipe  " Baragu/Proso Millet Kesari " for you all on behalf of My Blog " Adige"  is stepping into 10th year.
At this Moment I am so happy because I just got a beautiful  comment from Ashi :
This is what she said
Ashi Mysore : Nalini Somayaji Your blog is one of the best out there, such healthy traditional recipes .
I am happy to share  my little knowledge what I know. Nothing much..some where, some one who are in need is going to get help in this way too.
Ok let me come back to the " Recipe of the day : Baragu /Proso Millet Sweet Kesari.

Millets have become very popular because of their healthy benefits and gluten free, low in calories and full of fiber content.
Here I have used Baragu /Prosso Millet and it is filled with many healthy qualities.
Baragu has good amount of anti-oxidant properties and helps in delaying the aging process. It helps in strengthening the nervous system. Baragu contain good amount of calcium and helps in strengthening and maintain strong bones. It helps to control the cholesterol level in our body. It also helps to lower the bad cholesterol and increase the healthy cholesterol level. Proso millet contain minerals like phosphorus, manganese, magnesium. They do contain carbohydrates and fatty acids.
Let us see the recipe now :

Things Needed : 

Baragu /Proso Millet : 1 Cup
Water : 2 Cups
Jaggery : 1/2 Cup or little more
Ghee : 3  Tablespoons
Cardamom : 5 to 6 Pods
Raisinis and Cashews : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Badam /Almonds : 5 to 6 Pods
Salt : A pinch
Fresh grated coconut : 2 to 3 Tablespoons (Optional).





Method :

1. Clean baragu/proso millet and wash it nicely. Drain the water and keep it aside.

2. Remove cardamom skin and powder the pods.
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Cut almonds into small pieces and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add one tablespoon of ghee and let it melt. Add washed baragu.

6. Fry nicely for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Let it cool.

7. Keep a big pan and put cooked baragu, a pinch of salt and jaggery. Mix it well. It turns as bit liquid.
8. Cook on medium flame and it turns thick slowly. Add cut almonds and powdered cardamom. A

9. Stir slowly and mix all the ingredients nicely. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Stir in between so that it does not get burnt.

10. Add grated coconut and mix it well.
11. Shift the ready " Baragu /Proso Millet Sweet Kesari " to a serving dish.


12. Fry cashews and raisins in remaining ghee and add it on the top of the ready " Baragu /Proso Millet Sweet Kesari. Serve as you wish.




Note :

You can pressure cook baragu without frying in ghee. Adding more ghee is optional. Adding more nuts is optional. Water should be 1 : 2 .(or it turns hard). Adding more/less jaggery is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes. 
Serves : 4 to 6.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Congratulations....Its a great news that adige stepping into 10th year!! Also perfect sweet keasari recipe to celebrate the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Nalini!

    One question about the Indian spices you used -- are they fresh or dried cardamom pods? I'd like to try your recipe as I'm adding more old grains into my diet. Thanks so much!

    Congratulations on your blog's 10th year!

    XOXO,

    Jacklyn

    ReplyDelete

Jack fruits Seeds Tikki

Jack fruits are healthy Seasonal fruits. The seeds also contain lots of good vitamins and minerals.  After eating the fruit we throw away th...

About

author
My name is Nalini Somayaji. Teaching is my profession. Cooking is my passion. Reading, travelling, visiting new places, having fun with kids are some of the hobbies I can say. My recipes are Healthy, quick, easy and simple. Grown up being a traditional family member I love and respect Indian culture and traditions. Love classical dance and music.
Learn More →