Legumes or lentils or pulses contain rich protein and they have a special place in Indian cooking.
Kabooli channa ( ಕಡಲೆ ಕಾಳು), Moth beans(ಮಟಕಿ ಕಾಳು), Black eyed beans (ಅವಡೆ ಕಾಳು), Whole moong (ಹೆಸರು ಕಾಳು), Cow peas (ಅಲಸಂದೆ ಕಾಳು ), these are the five legumes (whole seeds) used and prepared Mixed dry beans Curry.
Beans also known as legumes and they are loaded with nutrients. Legumes are referred to as a poor man's meat. They are very high in protein and one of the best sources of soluble fiber. Legumes are a staple food in cuisines from all over the world. Legumes help to reduce the cholesterol levels in the blood. Regulating the levels of blood glucose for diabetics. They help to lower the blood pressure. They also help to improve the function of the colon and help to cure constipation. Legumes provide lots of calcium and vitamins and minerals. They prevent obesity.
Here is a recipe of Mixed Beans (legumes) Curry and it can be eaten with bread, buns (Pav), Chapatis, rotis, poori and even with Hot rice. Not much of spice added and its prepared without onions and garlic. If you wish you can add them while cooking.
Things Needed :
Whole Channa : 1 Cup
Whole Moong : 1 Cup
Moth Bean : 1 Cup
Cow Beans : 1 Cup
Black eyed Beans : 1 Cup
Ginger : 1 Table spoon
Green chilly : 2 to 3
Garam Masala : 1 Table spoon
Red chilly Powder : 1/2 Tea spoon
Coriander leaves : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Oil : 1 Table spoon
Salt : to taste
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Clove : 2 to 3
Pepper pods : 5 to 6
Tomatoes : 4 to 6 (Small size)
Lemon Juice : 2 Table spoons
Water : Required water
1. Wash and soak all Dry beans together in a big bowl for 5 to 6 hours.
2. Pressure cook the soaked beans for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave it for cooling.
3. Wash and cut green chilly, tomatoes, coriander leaves and grate ginger.
4. Now keep a big pan and heat. Put oil.
5. Add jeera, clove, smashed pepper pods and fry. Add cut green chilly.
6. Add cut tomatoes and fry nicely till they are cooked. Add ginger.
7. Add garam masala powder, red chilly powder.
8. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix it well.
9. Now add cooked beans and mix it well. Add required water.
10. Allow the curry to cook nicely for 5 minutes. Put off the gas and add lemon juice.
11. Add coriander leaves and shift the curry to a serving bowl.
12. Serve with bread or chapati
We had Mixed Beans curry with Bread.
Divide the bread in the middle and put it on hot tava. Roast on both sides. Then apply ghee on the inner part of the bread. Serve curry , cut onions with Hot bread.
You can use any number of legumes (Beans). Must think before you soak the beans. Use a large or small cup to measure. Adding more chilly is an optional. Adding more ghee or butter also optional. You can use cut onions while cooking also. You can fry them first and then add the cut tomatoes. Adding more tomatoes will give a sour taste. Mix the curry nicely just before serving.